I'm embarrassed that I've slept this long on two of my favorite artists. I've covered Raheem's collabos before, but this song is just incredibly personal and just sooooo poignant right now. Raheem has always been a master of that. No current R&B artist matches the heart moving soul that he delivers through his poetry and song.
Raheem is an incredible writer, each word, phrase, and line capturing the spirit of his concern and angst for our world's peril.
From Bulletproof
Living like we bulletproof
We bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang
I say we load it, cock it, aim and shoot
Oh we load it, cock it, aim and shoot
Some will die over oil kill over land
Charge you for taxes and Blame Uncle Sam
Read you your rights and charge you for nothing
Now who’s really gangsta
And tell me who’s frontin’
Murder your sons, ravage your daughters
Here overseas and across the waters
Tanks and missiles, bombs and grenades
Inject the land with guns and aids
The video to this song is a visual masterpiece. It takes a page out of the book of videos of old that used to wake us up and pay attention. Like REM, Billy Joel, Missy Elliott, Hype Williams, and of course, Michael Jackson. Videos like Remember the Time and We Didn't Start the Fire!
Ludacris is known for a few incredibly innovative videos himself. Perhaps Raheem and Luda collaborated on this videos' design. It reminds me of those HP commercials that have been so popular, with Raheem's (physical) movement and all. The video really tells a story. You could sit with the on video on mute and really see the power of it all.
I'll let the video speak for itself. And remember the words of Charles Hamilton Houston, "I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees." Get schooled on Charles Hamilton Houston here !
.jpg)




Great song and excellent video. One of the best I've seen in a while.
ReplyDeleteGreat post, interesting video. Thoughts:
ReplyDelete1. I did watch the whole thing... (in an era where most won't).
2. the Continual bullet theme was nice and worked w/ the song well.
3. It's well done but also probably cheap as it's all computer generated (right?)
4. Raheem looks like one of the Jagged Edge Twins. Funny b/c you rarely know what the neosoul artists look like since their vids don't get much tv spin.
5. Something about a neosoul artist I've noticed over years: They "speak" to certain people and not others. I wonder who are Raheem's core fans, and more importantly, are they album purchasers? Is there too much an overlap with web savvy (and thus more prone to DLoad for free) fans? Hmmm. I'd contrast him w/ Anthony David, who seems to have a strong "offline" fanbase. I could be totally wrong.
6. I like and really respect Luda, but his verses are never too poignant for me. My fav fav luda song is "do your time" w/ Pimp C, for personal reasons. Now that one has a great message.
7. Lastly, the song goes well w/the times of gov't distrust, recession and general angst and malaise amongst the lower class. I wish both artists the best and commend them taking a stance with such a political song (esp Luda, who has huge endorsement deals).
Dame,
ReplyDeleteThanks for your extensive comments. And yes, thanks for watching the whole video. The theme was very well incorporated in the video. I'm no video afficianado, but I'm sure a greenscreen was involved. Those graphics might get a little expensive tho. Didn't it remind you of the HP commercials a little bit, the way Raheem moved from scene to scene. I really liked the puppets.
I love the words even more. Dame, are you not familiar with Raheem? I've been on his music since he was selling mixtapes at the 9:30 club. He has a special grind that artists out here don't really know about, at all. I cherish his autographed pic - he wrote "thanks for being there since the beginning" It's been a long ride for Radio Rah! And I'm happy to have seen the show.
I'm sure his core fans are real music lovers, those who love lyrics and melody. Those that have seen what he's seen and knows what he knows. Raheem has fans because he's so inspirational. One of my FAVORITE songs of all times, and that made me stop in my tracks is his "My People" off of Jazzy Jeff's The Magnificent. If you've never heard it, go catch a listen. That'll tell you who Raheem is, and make you a fan.
As for Luda, I mean, I feel you, and then I know that he has the head for so much more, 'but I'm not out here rhyming like Common Sense.' Chris is an exceptional dude, but "is it black girl lost or shorting looking for ice?" He'll figure out his way. He's making strides in other areas, including The Ludacares Foundation, which hosted an event in DC, which I attended, and I plan to upload details on. Whew, lots of promises.
I will be sure to check out that Pimp C track. Gotta love Pimp C!
Thanks for the comments!