GIVING ALL CREDIT WHERE ALL CREDIT IS DUE
Let me say that from my knowledge, Raneka Young is the originator of the term Soulcialite. She goes by that title on twitter @Soulcialite. She's my girl, and I hope I represent the moniker well.
DISCLAIMER
I declare that no definition can hold me. I'll be who I want to be on any given day. You may call it bipolar or schizophrenia , but I call it changing my mind.
On a side note - as a high school Senior, I wrote my Senior thesis paper comparing Malcolm X to Ralph Waldo Emerson. Both men took dramatic stands in philosophy at at one point in their lives, and then drastically abandoned said philosophies for radically different ones.Peep that.DEFINING THE SOULCIALITE
A soulcialite is a melanin infused sister with a superior educational background living in a metropolitan area and associating with like minded, similarly educated, yet diverse individuals.
She may work in any field, but she definitely does work. A soulcialite does not necessarily have the luxury of family wealth, instead, her wealth comes in the form of her rich soul.
She recognizes the privileges that her background and education afford her and therefore, commits herself to service in her community, often through mentoring, tutoring, and other charitable or philanthropic ventures.
She is a member of several networks, formal and informal, and committed to improving the African American community.
The following characteristics may bring up issues of elitism and classism within the soulcialite community.
She may or may not be a member of a black Greek letter organization (BGLO).
She was presented to society in a debutante ball.
Questions for Discussion
Must a Soulcialite conform to these standards?
What part does family wealth and pedigree (ie debutante balls) play in her Soulcialite status?
PS, I don't wanna get anybodies VS's in a bunch. Come on now, this is just for fun. Call yourself what you wanna call yourself. Remember: "It's not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you're not."
OG
.jpg)




I love the term. And while I don't live in a metro area all the other characteristics apply and I'm raising two soulcialites, as well. My oldest just had her debut last Sunday. She's a third generation deb and I'm very proud of that. I wish more of us embraced this level of intelligence, strength and feminine power. To some it may just be a title, but I see it as a lifestyle. One I'm proud to own.
ReplyDeleteOk...I think you put the nail on the head. I would just like to say that I believe the next 3 characteristics are the main ones that make a true SOULCIALITE. First, she must be attend various events in her city and around the country, whether they are social, professional, political, etc. She needs to be able to "work the room" and be able to be comfortable in any setting. Next, she should have competed in some sort of debuntante ball or something similar as a child/teenager and/or she should be a part of a social organization as an adult. Lastly, she MUST give back to her community, whether it's in the form of a volunteer, mentor, or some other capacity. She should definitely strive to mold and guide future soulcialites, whether they are her own daughters or young ladies that she mentors. I personally believe that I am a SOULCIALITE; I have volunteered in numerous capacities in my city, have participated in a debuntante ball (my hometown's Miss Jabberwock pageant and won!), and I have attended numerous events. And I am hard at work on spreading my soulcialite status in my new city...
ReplyDeleteI believe that your definition of Soulcialite was on point. I also cosign with SouthernBelle44 added. However, I tend to disagree with the debuntate part. I grew up in an area where they did not have the debuntate events nor ceremonies, but my mother and grandmother taught me the importance of how to be a lady, giving back to my community, and to remain graceful and humble through it all. It did not take a ceremony and a white dress to usher my way from childhood to womanhood...I saw so many examples of strength and empowering femininity around me on a daily basis. I'm not taking anything away from the debuntante program at all- I plan to bring my future daughter into one when I have one. However, I don't think that one missing factor from my life makes me any less of a Soulcialite because the foundation of my life is built around community service, higher education, building meaningful relationships and such...lifting as we climb (via NABA's motto).
ReplyDeleteGreat topic Najeema :)
The explanation and committment to how you indentify yourself sounds amazing and commend for it.
ReplyDeleteBut i would like to include the positive spin on your very last quote... "Its not who you think you are that will enable you to grow, but who others think you are!" (perception)
Think about it...
Chuckcity
Thanks for you comments everyone. This is a topic that I find to be entertaining. People put me in a box as a "party girl." I had a conversation with my cousin about "party girls" over the Holiday. True, there is more to being a soulcialite than attending parties. But, the title comes with many social responsibilities.
ReplyDeleteI would like to brag that while everyone knew (in college) and even now, that I am constantly in the know of where to go and have a good time, I also graduated Phi Beta Kappa from Spelman College. I partied like NO OTHER in ATL, but, graduated on time, and with high accolades.
How many soulcialites or Socialites can say that?
Thanks for all the comments, and this is a conversation that we will continue to have in our community, the conversation over class and pedigree.
But in the end, something must separate the extraordinary from the masses. Otherwise, we'd all be walking around calling ourselves Kings and Queens. (Gods and Earths - which we are, but that's a post for another time)
I think Chuckcity HAS given us something to think about. Usually, I caution against relying on other people's perceptions. But in this case, I think other's opinion of "who others think you are" can create opportunities and help you grow.
Let's continue to explore this topic.
OG