Tuesday, January 26, 2010

RdotHdot Drops His 2009 Music Review

From time to time, my brother Rdot gives his take on the musical happenings of the world. And at the end of last year, he gave us all some gems. Enjoy his take on the music that came out this past year. Please, feel free to make comments. 

As a bonus, here is Skillz 09 Rap Up

and DJ BabeyDrew's Best of 09  You should check them out.



Rdot writes.....
Here is my 2nd Year of my Music Pics. Please note that I have ranked my favorites across 6 Main Categories of shit that I have bought and downloaded in 2009. My purpose is to provide you with a brief summary of my Top 10 Picks in each category in case you missed the boat and weren't able to cop some of these.

Hopefully, there will be some interesting debate and discussion amongst our music heads on the list. As usual, all that I ask is that in your rebuttal that you provide us with a replacement artist/album based on your judgment. This will be a good resource for us if anyone is interested in additions to their music library.

And so we begin...with my comments in parentheses.


TOP 10 R&B ALBUMS(self-explanatory)

10.Ryan Leslie – Transition (the 2nd album delivered in 2009 from Ryan doesn’t disappoint as he showcases why he is a hidden gem in the industry) *OG dramatically approves

9. Amerie – In Love & War (looking for some airy vocals combined with stellar production over basic lyrics? then this album is for you!)

8. RKelly – Untitled (to be honest, this album was tons better than I expected. Kelz doesn’t overdo the yodeling or rapping-singing or pedophilia like he has done in the past) *OG dramatically approves

7. Prince – Elixir ft. Bria Valente (this was disc 3 of the 3-disc set that Prince released this year…and by far the best of the bunch and introduces us to a new r&b songstress)

6. Melanie Fiona – The Bridge (the debut of this sultry songstress almost makes u forget who jasmine sullivan is…almost) Rdot covered Melanie Fiona in a previous post HERE, including a D/L link

5. Joss Stone – Colour Me Free (i love this european tempstress, so I’m not going to justify why her album is so high on my list)


4. Eric Roberson – MusicFanFirst (the homie ERRO came through with another consistent album that most folks failed to hear. Damn shame too) *OG dramatically approves

2. & 2. Dream – Love vs. Money & Robin Thicke – Sex Therapy (Dream’s album held it down most of the year, which is amazing to me because I had him on 2008’s Most Disappointing List. however, with Thicke’s entry in early December, he might have a hard time holding on to #2 on this list, but for now, I’m cool with them being tied)

1. Maxwell – BlackSummerNight (yes, the album is short, but dammit if it wasn’t worth waiting the last 8 years for his return!)

Honorable Mention: RKelly – Demo Mixtape; Trey Songz – Anticipation; Vanessa Williams – The Real Thing; Ryan Leslie – Ryan Leslie; Mary J. Blige – Stronger With Each Tear



TOP 10 ALTERNATIVE ALBUMS (anything not pure R&B or HipHop)

10.Chester French – Love the Future (this rock duo have the talent of making good, catchy not-overtly-pop records)

9. Mick Boogie & PBJ – Re-Living Thing (this mixtape was really a remixing of Peter Bjorn & John’s album w/ help from various MC’s such as Gza, Naledge, Talib Kweli, Wale, etc.)

8. Little Dragon – Machine Dreams (this electro band from Sweden produced a funky collection of tracks that you can play to showcase that you like other music besides hiphop)

7. Norah Jones – The Fall (the laid back jazzy vocalist returned to the scene and surprised me that she still had it from her previous days)


6. Nicolay – City Lights Vol.2 (Netherlands producer, Nicolay, produces some chilled out tunes where some of his friends, like Phonte, decide to add their vocals)

5. Peter Bjorn & John – Living Thing (damn good Swedish band who’s music was sampled by Kanye and Drake for their mixtapes)

4. Chester French – Jacques Jams Vol. 1 (Clinton sparks delivered this hiphop-influenced mixtape before the group’s album, which was not at all hiphop-influenced. I still feel sorta duped about this, but oh well, they were both good)

3. BlackKeys – Blackroc (Dame Dash convinced the rock band to link up with various hiphop artists such as Mos Def and Raz for a chance at creative freedom. Mission accomplished)

2. Mayer Hawthorne – Strange Arrangement (this caucasian soulbrother’s tunes bring back memories of the old school and you can tell he was influenced by likes of Smokey Robinson and Curtis Mayfield)

1. Daniel Merriweather – Love and War (a surprisingly catchy and melodic album from this Australian that was influenced with tinges of hiphop throughout) Rdot reviewed this CD on the blog HERE

Honorable Mention: Mick Boogie & Santogold – Southern Gold; Adrian Champion – Stars & Stripes; Dave Matthews – Big Whiskey & The Googrux King; Regina Spektor – Far; Mr. Hudson – Straight No Chaser


Top 10 MIXTAPES< (anything distributed free-of-charge by the artists)

10.Mick Boogie – Le Da Soul (a tribute mixtape to De La’s 20 year in the industry while reworking some of their most popular tunes w/ various MC's showcasing their talent)

9. Esso – Off the Wall (this was slept on because it came out when everyone was releasing their MJJ tributes, but this is a reworking of some of MJJ’s tracks from his famous album and is very good)

8. Cool Kids – Gone Fishing (chitown’s finest come back w/ new songs that don’t let up on the bass)

7. Lil Wayne – No Ceilings (mixtape weezy did a great job rhyming his ass off and not making me upset about that Rebirth album)

6. Pacific Division – Church League Champions (west coast b-boys appreciated PacDiv’s latest installment of original material and they didn’t let them down)

5. B.O.B. – BOB vs. Bobby Ray (Bobby Ray makes this top mixtape list just like in '08 with this excellent project of both rhymes and songs)

4. Freddie Gibbs – midwestgangstabox… (there’s nothing wrong w/ getting a nice dose of your gangsta rap through Gary, IN’s finest MC. damn shame that most Chi folks won’t even give him a listen)

3. J. Cole – The Come Up (Roc Nation’s first signee lived up to the hype through self-produced tracks and stellar writing)

2. Wale – Back to the Feature (a mixtape centered around featured guest arists was a great idea and i’m glad that wale came through and executed as best as anyone else could) *OG dramatically approves
Rdot Also covered that in a previous post: HERE 


1. Drake – So Far Gone (I mean…if you’re not familiar with this, then I don't even know why we're friends)

Honorable Mention: Joell Ortiz – Road Kill; Lupe Fiasco – Enemy of the State; Skyzoo – The Power of Words; Rhymefest – The Manual; Idle Warship – Party Robot


TOP 10 HIPHOP ALBUMS (anything distributed w/ the purpose of retail)

10.JayZ – Blueprint 3 (this album was good…but Hov coulda done better, but still better most MC's offerings)

9. QTip – The Rennaisance (I didn’t expect Q-Tip to do as much as he did on this album including stellar production credits)

8. Wale – Attention Deficit (the debut album from the homie was quite good, but did include too many features…which is ironic cause that’s what his mixtape was for…but oh well)
More WALE coverage on Hell & A Handbag HERE

7. Mos Def – The Ecstatic (I’m a Mos Def fan, but in reality, he sometimes comes up short by trying to do too much on his last albums. this wasn’t the case this go-round)

6. Meth & Redman – Blackout2 (It’s known that Redman is one of my faves, so did you NOT think that this album woudn’t be on the list? U know me better than that!)

5. Royce 5’9” – Street Hop (I was pleasantly surprised by Royce’s latest album as he does a great job selecting great production to help his battle/braggadocio style)

4. Curren$y – This Ain’t No Mixtape (unfortunately, this classic album from the former No-Limit, Cash Money, and Young Money soldier went unnoticed by the public…but this album was a winner!)

3. Fashawn – Boy Meets World (I thoroughly enjoyed this westcoast mc’s debut album as it combines great production with great lyrics for such a young mc. I expect bigger things from him moving forward)

2. Rick Ross – Deeper than Rap (The Boss did a great job not succumbing to peer pressure or 50 Cent’s taunts by creating an album of great gangsta colloquialisms and such)

1. Raekwon – OB4CL2 (Yep…I liked this album that damn much. U know how much shit I talked about how Raekwon would never duplicate what he did in 95 on the original? Tons. And I was pleasantly proved wrong!)

Honorable Mention: Slaughterhouse – Self-titled; MOP – Foundation; Ghostface – Ghostdini Wizard of Poetry; Clipse – Til the Casket Drops; Skyzoo – Salvation


TOP 10 DISAPPOINTING ALBUMS (anything high on hype, but low on delivery)

10. & 10. Clipse – Til the Casket Drops & Busta Rhymes – Back On My Bullshit (while neither of these albums were bad, for as much as I heard about how great they were going to be, they weren’t…and definitely weren’t as good as select previous albums from either artist)

8. Kid Cudi – Man on the Moon (Just like I didn’t like Kanye’s 808 & Heartbreak, I wasn’t a big fan of Cudi’s lp)

7.Slim Thug – Boss of All Bosses (Did you even remember that he came out with an album? Yeah, whatever, well, you didn’t miss much at all)

6. Fabolous – Loso’s Way (this album was all over the place and I didn’t like it one bit)

5. Cam’ron – Crime Pays (in the past, Cam made up in beats what he lacked in lyrics. not this time)

4. Prince – LotusFlow3r/MPLSound (for all the noise surrounding this album, it was 2 cd’s too long)

3. 50 Cent – Before I Self Destruct (hey 50, no one believes your aggressive content anymore…just go back to doing the mixtape thing)

2. UGK – UGK4Life (I wanted to like this album since Pimp C passed, but too many features and not enough knocking Houston beats could make this album better than what it was)


1. Rakim – The 7th Seal (yes, he’s my favorite MC ever…but dammit even I have to admit that Ra sounds outdated and tired on these tracks…and a lot of the beats sucked!)

Dishonorable Mention: KRSOne & Buckshot – Survival Skills; John Mayer – Battle Studies




TOP 10 GUILTY PLEASURES(anything I’m ashamed I own, but is pretty decent)

10. Tha Dogg Pound – That Was Then This Is Now (anything that kurupt is on, I’m getting. this lp was no exception)

9. Keri Hilson – In A Perfect World (I secretly love this woman…and will support her music however and whenever, but I’m embarrassed about it)


8. Queen Latifah – Persona (Dana Owens made a decent album w/ her singing and rapping…even if you think all she does nowadays is act) *OG dramatically approves

7. 50 Cent – Forever King Mixtape (at first, hearing 50 Cent rap over 80s beats doesn’t sound like a good idea…but it actually is an okay idea…just as long as u get it for free)

6. Ocean’s 7 – 3009 & Shit Mixtape (a friend told me to d/l this…and it was like getting an album that a few of the homies did during the drinking at homecoming who were named trey songz, jermaine dupri, usher, nelly, and the other ones)

5. Lady Gaga – The Fame (she’s weird…and so is her music. so why am I embarrassed…cause she’s weird…and so is her music)

4. Electric Red – How To Be A Lady Vol. 1 (dream wrote and produced this album…but the title alone is embarrassing alone to be in my collection. damn u dream!)

3. Young Money – We Are Young Money (most rap crew albums suck…and this doesn’t suck as bad as it could have…thanks to Drake and Wayne..and some of the beats)

2. Pleasure P – Introduction of Marcus Cooper (1. He’s a former member of Pretty Ricky. 2. his name is Pleasure P. 3. Allegedly, he and Rkelly have more in common than singing. However, the album is up for a Grammy…so I ain’t the only one out here thinking the lp wasn’t too bad)


1. Gucci Mane – State vs. Radrick Davis (Gucci is a horrible rapper who’s claim-to-fame is that he has catch phrases that make me laugh and producers who know how to provide that down south knock that I sure do love. Brrrrr., It's GUCCI!) *SURPRISINGLY OG dramatically approves


Honorable Mention: Trey Songz – Ready; Rob Roy – King Warrior Magician Lover


That's a wrap. Meet me here at the same time next year. Yep.

R.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting lists. I hated the Amerie and the Robin Thicke. Eric Roberson was my top pick for R&B and I see the Laura Izibor debut wasn't included; which I loved. Melanie Fiona is also very awesome. I can't get into this new MJB CD at all and I love Mary. I liked the Ryan Leslie but I do think his debut was better than Transition.

    The rap list is good and even though I haven't heard the Currensy or Fashawn, I do think Ghostface's Wizardry joint was better than Rae's. They are doing a new album soon together with Meth so I'm looking forward to that as those 3 are my faves from the Wu. I dig the disappointment list too (minus Clipse--they didnt' disappoint me), but I had way more R&B disappoints this year than hip hop. and Amerie is at the TOP of mine. lol.

    good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yeah I forgot to add, the guilty pleasures and mixtape lists are on point too! I can't admit Gucci Mane as a guilty pleasure though because I only listen to him if its playing in the club. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. great feedback Reecie. i totally forgot about Laura's cd. damn me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments, thanks always Rdot for the post. I never checked for Laura Izibor, but I know she's quality. Speaking of which, I'm going to lala.com to check for that cd after I finish listening to Raheem.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Life is Like a Slideshow

Get the flash player here: http://www.adobe.com/flashplayer